Monday, April 14, 2014

Children

This post is a little late tonight, and really I am glad. I have had several topics swirling in my head, but none of them seemed quite right.  This topic has been heavy on my heart, and every time I thought I had forgot about it, I heard another story that drove the point home.

Today I read an article about a woman, who had murdered seven of her newborn babies and put them in cardboard boxes in her garage. Her estranged husband who had just gotten out of jail was cleaning his stuff out of the garage and found them.  I want to know what kind of sick person it takes to do this?

I also heard of another family (I use that term loosely in this case) where a few months ago, the middle child age 2, had gotten into the homemade drugs his parents (again another very loose term) had mixed and he overdosed.  He spent weeks in ICU recovering and the other two children were taken and put in a foster home.  He was put in the same foster home after leaving the hospital.  It has just come out that the foster parents were burning these poor children with cigarettes and who knows what other abuse they put these children through.    The middle child who overdosed had spent most of his life in a car seat in dirty diapers because it was more convenient for the adults. All three children are under the age of six. They do not realize or understand why they are having to go through this pain.  They have done nothing to deserve this treatment.  The newborns did not deserve to die and rot in cardboard boxes.

I don't understand how these foster parents became foster parents in the first place, seeing how it is highly unlikely that this is the first time this has happened.  I want to find these kids and just hug their pain away and comfort them and show them what love is and how the adults in their life should have treated them. I know that me being a single woman could provide more love than any other adult in their life has provided them so far.

These stories have only strengthened my resolve not to have any kids of my own, but to foster and adopt hurting kids.  My goals right now is to pay off my car and school loans as soon as possible and buy a huge house in the middle of the country so I can be like the Duggar family, only my kids being adopted.  I want to be able to show these kids that are still good people in the world.

These stories have also made me even more grateful for my parents.  They may not be perfect people, but they did their very best for my brother and I. They loved us no matter what crazy things we did.  They disciplined us, but never abused us.  We may not have gotten everything we wanted, but we got everything we needed and if at all possible we got what we wanted.  We never went hungry. We were not the richest family in terms of money, but we knew we were loved.  We didn't always get along, but we have been there for each other when we were needed.  My mom is my best friend and my daddy still talks about spoiling me even though I am 27.

I really don't know how to end this.  It's not appropriate to say something witty or tell a joke and I really don't know a question to ask.  All I can say is, if you have wonderful parents cherish them and let them know you do.  If you had abusive parents or guardians I am so sorry and my heart breaks for you. I fully believe no child deserves to grow up abused, physically,mentally, or emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment